If you accept, darts as a sport like an amateur or professional player, you must follow certain rules to play it and this sport or game is no exception in that. Those are pretty much easy to follow and are quite well known. So let’s talk about these rules.
General rules to playing darts:
- Each turn, every player throws three darts
- Until all of them have been thrown, both of feet must be behind the throw line
- Bounced out by steel point darts do not score and cannot be thrown again
If the electronic board scores the dart it will count.
- Accidentally dropped darts can be picked up and player can throw it
- By steel point, if one of them fall out from the board during a turn, it’s disqualified and points are not scored
- By the soft tip – the tip must touch the board to be scored. If the electronic board register the points, the score counts.
- After the play, every player always removes its darts from the board and the score has been recorded.
How to determine who will begin the game
Always someone must start the game. But how to determine, who starts first?
This is very easy and rules are simple. Each player throws one dart and which one is closest to the bull’s eye start the game. If both of the players hits the bull’s eye, both of them throw again until one of them is closest to the bull’s eye.
If both of the players hit out of the bull’s eye, the game will start the player which is closest to the center.
However, if the players repeat the throwing because of the »tie«, both of darts remain on the board. This is the only time when stays on the board.
When you play a friendly set of games against some opponent, next round starts the player which loses in the previous round.
To determine who will start the game, a coin toss also can be used for this.
By steel tip, the scoring is usually done by hand and it’s written on the scoreboard or score sheet.
By the soft tip is a little bit different. Because of the chance that dart can bounce out, which anyway counts if the device scores it. This is the advantage of playing with the soft tips. However, the score recorded by the device is considered correct, so any registered but bounced out counts.
These are basic rules to play darts. Follow them and play fair.